Michigan State University Libraries Summer Research Grant
Call for Applications
In collaboration with Michigan State University, the Comics Studies Society is pleased to announce the launch of a generous annual program to support graduate student research in the MSU Library Comic Art Collection through the MSU Libraries Summer Research Grants.
CSS welcomes applications from Graduate Student Caucus members currently enrolled in a program of graduate study: these will be reviewed by CSS and two will be forwarded to the MSU library for this generous support. Based on MSU Library criteria, they will identify a single award of $3000 from the two applications forwarded by CSS.
General information on the MSU Comic Art collection can be found here: https://comics.lib.msu.edu
Potential applicants should note the information below:
- All applicants must be current members of the Comics Studies Society Graduate Student Caucus enrolled in a graduate program when they apply.
- CSS especially encourages applications from un/underrepresented and marginalized scholars and/or scholars whose work address an underrepresented group and/or historically marginalized identity.
- Applications to CSS are due by December 20, 2022. Applications should be sent to: email@example.com
- Following an evaluation period by both CSS and MSU, award recipients will be notified by mid-March, 2023
Applications must include:
- A cover letter clarifying the applicant’s academic background, research interests, and current progress towards degree.
- Curriculum vitae of no more than six pages
- Description of research topic, its significance, planned outcome, and specific materials within Michigan State Libraries to be used (two pages maximum)
- First and second choice of dates in residence. On-site research period must run for at least one week between May 1 and September 30. Note that Summer reading room hours are Monday-Friday 10am-5pm.
- One letter of recommendation from a professional and/or academic reference speaking to the value of your project and the quality of your work. Recommendation letters can be submitted with the application or separately to the same email address.